February 19, 2006

Radio plays that forgotten song...

I like listening to the radio when I drive. You never know what you'll hear, for one thing, though you might have some ideas...Still, it's about as diverse as it's possible to be in most place. I guess not everywhere though. This summer driving through northern New Hampshire, the only station I got was coutry, before that cut out too and the search just kept going in circles. Still, it's great. You'd think that if I enjoyed it so much, then maybe the car (or cars) I drive would have better radios, radios say, where more than one speaker works, or where it doesnt randomly jump to 107.9 when you go over a bump. Still, these small barriers can be taken in stride in the quest for the great american psyche.

NPR is a world of its own, but sometimes, just not right for driving. News is not what you need to be listening to in traffic jams, or on windy back country roads. It just doesnt set the right tone. That said, you can't beat NPR, no way, no how.

On my computer, I listen to a mix of bluegrassy folky poppy regge influenced old time rock. Everything from Allison Kraus, to Eric Clapton, to the Corrs, to the wailers and Creedence. It's easy to forget, therefore, that theres another world of music out there, a world of which greater america is a part of. I can only stand to listen to the Top 20 charts for so long, and I won't tollerate hibbity hop for more than 10 minutes, but even there, it's fun to listen to how ridiculously outrageously bad some songs are.

For years, I made fun of country music. You know what happens when you play a Country record backwards, I'd say. You get your dog back, your wife back, your trailer back, and your truck too. More recently though, I've come to appreciate the genere, even if I lower the volume, embarrassed, when I go through toll booths.

It's great driving music really. Classic Rock is too boring. It just turns into static after a while. Don't even think about classical. Oldies are ok, but they get boring after a while. You don't get bored with country, or at least, not too bored. Theres a lot of diversity there. From patriotism, to boozy fun, to good old fashioned tear jerkers. And once you've listened for a while, you can sing along with the popular songs. They're catchy, they really are.

Beyond all that though, that country is so popular in rural America has to say something. This summer, I passed a bar in norther maine with a sign that said, "Thursday nights, cowgirls drink free." That's got to say something. So by listening to country music I can take a quick trip out of the collegiate bubble, and maybe get into the heads of the people around me. That's pretty cool, i think.

When you're listening to the radio, theres always the chance that you'll hear a song you remember from somewhere, or dont really remember, but remember remembering, if that makes any sense. Songs will pull out random memories, memories of other car trips or of conversations or people who I've lost touch with.

Listening to music at home is nice, but it lacks the total randomness of listening to the radio in a car. You never know where you're going to end up on the dial, or what song will come on at just the right moment. It's fantastic.

Though sometimes it does get a little old, i admit it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.