October 08, 2009

Bulk Barn Is Truly Amazing

I lied when I said they didn’t have dried black beans in Newfoundland. I just didn’t know where to look. Since I last wrote, we have made the most marvelous discovery. It’s called Bulk Barn. I first went in looking for canned soup. I figured the store would have pallets of cans and things that nobody wanted, like Caswell's in Waterville. I was so wrong. The only thing they didn’t have was soup. Everything else, they had, including specialty cake pans (if you wanted a cake shaped like Aladdin’s palace, say) for rent $1.99 per rental, no late fees.



This is how it works. Bulk Barn buys everything it can in bulk, then it dumps the product into bins and sells everything by weight. This is like, penny candy on steroids. There’s Candy, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, crackers, chips, pasta, rices, flour (oh what flour), spices, cookies, dog food, cat food, bird seed, honey, peanut butter, and so much more. Including dried beans. We’re not talking like a bin of white flour here, we’re talking maybe 25 kinds of flour: unbleached all purpose, unbleached hard bread, unbleached soft bread, wheat, whole grain, gluten and so on. Including an entire section of gluten free flours (not that I need them, but still) with everything from rice flour to soy flour to coconut flour.

And that kind of variety for EVERYTHING. It’s amazing. Emily and I went back after my initial discovery, and after gleefully pointing out everything delicious, got down to some serious shopping. We spent $86 dollars there (using her 10% Wednesday student discount) and came home ready for a food shortage on the island.




Thank you Canada!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in a love/hate relationship with virtual memory because of the way prices are always falling. I hate buying SDs for my R4 / R4i at (seemingly) a cheap price only to see it become ten percent cheaper a few weeks later.

(Submitted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4i[/url] R4Post)